Monday, September 1, 2014

Announcing..... Nerissa MacKay and the Mystery of the Seventeen Scrolls!

I haven't blogged much about my writing for awhile; that's because there hasn't been much to say.  The Chocolate Smuggler's Notebook is completely bogged down at a key point in the first draft.  And The (Dis)Appearance of Nerissa MacKay has been out with gamma readers, then re-written (I think it's only the 10th time or so on this book), then had the cover re-designed again, then has been put out to beta readers and my beta reader who edits.  I have put a hold on all contest because my book sales on the three published books have dropped considerably.  (I'm in hopes of reviving them with the release of the Nerissa novella, however.)
But....
Gamma readers told me Nerissa MacKay needed a sequel.  In fact, some were miffed that the book ends where it does.  (It's not a cliffhanger, but there is certainly room for another adventure.)  So, this summer I began playing with the idea of writing a mystery series with Nerissa; after all, this first book is essentially a mystery novel.
I love mysteries.  I think that has been my favorite genre since I got hooked on the Three Investigators Series in third grade.  (And let's not forget my obsession with The Hardy Boys TV show in junior high.)  I've read every single Sherlock Holmes story and novel.  I own every single Ian Rankin book in the Rebus series.  I gorged myself on about 30 Agatha Christie novels this summer.
And Paige Shelton, author of my favorite cozy mystery series, was happy to give me some good advice on writing a mystery. :)
And thus I announce that today, this very night, I have completed the rough outlines and set up the formatting in order to begin typing the first draft of the sequel to The (Dis)Appearance of Nerissa MacKay.  It is called Nerissa MacKay and the Mystery of the Seventeen Scrolls.
(Seriously, doesn't that sound like the title of a Nancy Drew book?  I couldn't help myself; I just had to go with it.)
This book will involve a strange kidnapping, stolen historical information, and Eric the half-vampire -- who just happens to live in the same town as Nerissa, but she doesn't meet him in the first book.

No comments:

Post a Comment