Friday, November 25, 2011

What's Been Your Weirdest Writing Inspiration?

I finally found a few moments tonight to have a look at my Nerissa MacKay WIP after two months without even touching it, and I realized I need to make it longer than I originally intended.  I had scribbled a note to myself about adding in two more conflicts, and tonight I decided to flesh those out into at least longer notes.  My inspirations ended up coming from the Monster High Ghoulia Yelps doll

and a playlist that includes songs by The Beatles, ABBA, Justin Bieber, Björk, Nellie McKay, Olivia Newton-John, The Supremes, Survivor, and Sting.  (Yeah, I have eclectic music tastes.)  In fact, the doll photo suggested an entire new character, and the arrangement of the playlist suggested the rough outline of a scene or maybe even a chapter.
And yet I'm laughing at the absurdity of this combination even as I type.  But, of course, the entire plot of Half-Vampire was originally suggested by a golf glove and reflexive pronouns, so I guess this isn't too bizarre.  Still.....
Have any of you used writing inspirations weirder than these?

3 comments:

  1. Half remembered dreams are one of my favorite sources, though they're hardly weird. I once heard a conversation between two women in a hospital which inspired the women's novel I'm working on now, and quite often stories I've written have come from snippets of conversations I've heard.

    But reflexive pronouns? You've got a fine imagination there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had an idea for a spy story that morphed into a story about a car called Frank.

    ReplyDelete