Tuesday, June 17, 2014

A Wee Bit O' Scotland

It's cool and rainy today -- which means I actually got some sleep last night instead of tossing and turning in the stifling atmosphere.
Then, I accidentally discovered this app last night.  Ian Rankin's one of my favorite authors anyway, and with this free app, he narrates tours of Edinburgh.  Just fiddling with the app last night, listening to his accent (so very different from Utah!), looking at the photos, and walking the tour in my mind, along familiar streets was like a mini trip back.
And, my favorite cozy writer and good buddy, Paige Shelton, is researching for her new Scottish Book Shop series, which is, naturally, set in Edinburgh.  I've been helping her with setting details on and off for a few months now, but this summer she's going to Edinburgh to do more research.  I cannot even tell you how jealous I am!
If that isn't enough, add to my woes that the Edinburgh International Book Festival has now released their catalog for this year's festival.  (Oh my heck!  As usual, they've got over 800 authors attending.  Carol Ann Duffy, Alistair Gray, Maureen Johnson, AL Kennedy, Liz Lochhead, Alistair Moffat, Kate Mosse, Alexander McCall Smith, Darren Shan, Irvine Welsh, and tons more!)  Oh, I want to go so badly!  Argh!
I haven't been to Scotland in six years, people.  Six long years.  It's way too long.
Dang.  I miss it.
But at least it's raining in the desert today; that is a small consolation.

No comments:

Post a Comment