Monday, June 9, 2014

The Joke's On Him

So, I don't really have all that many Twitter follows, 325 as of right this second, actually.  (I have well over 1500 on Pinterest, in contrast.)  And when new people follow me, it's usually because they know me personally or else they're interested in writing and publishing or else in education.
So, a couple of days ago I picked up a new follower, a young man whose photos show him as about 20 years old.  But I didn't recognize the name (which appears to be his real name) or his face (like all kids that age, he had at least 2 dozen selfies available to peruse).  Yet, among his followers and those he followed were at least 10 of my former students of the same age, a couple of whom follow me.
I kept trying to place this guy.  I knew he hadn't been in the same English class with the others, but I've taught a couple of thousand students by now, and I know darn well I don't remember everyone.  But still... if he were friends with X, Y, and Z -- all of whom I remember -- then why can't I remember this guy.
After about half an hour, the lightbulb blinked on in my head.
I don't know him.  He hadn't followed me because I'd been his English teacher; he'd followed me because he saw my name and my cute, young-looking twitter icon (the same superhero icon I use on this blog) and he assumed I was a cute, 20-ish girl who was friends with all these others who followed me.  This dude has no freakin' clue that I'm waaay past 20 and that these college kids are following their former English teacher.
I find this slightly hilarious.
The joke is definitely on this dude.  (And, no, I'm not going to follow him back.)

2 comments:

  1. I wish I could see his face when he figures this out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, I'm stalking your blog and trying to leave a comment and it's not working! Sorry for messing up your blog stats. Hope you're enjoying your summer, sans twitter groupie followers. :)

    ReplyDelete