Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Brigid Kemmerer's Got Lots Of Irons In The Fire This Month

Brigid Kemmerer and I have been blog buddies for 5 or 6 years now, as I've moved from blog to blog, and as she has become more and more famous.
But this is a big month for Brigid, and I'd like to take a little blog space to promote her.
She's got a series out called Elementals, which deals with a town full of kids who can control the elements.  It centers on one family of not-particularly likable brothers, each of whom can call on one of the four traditional elements (which would be earth, fire, wind, and water).
The first story out was an e-book, a prequel which centers on the oldest brother Michael and his element, earth.
Personally, I found this one just  a touch confusing, so I'd recommend either reading it after Storm, or else being ready to read Storm immediately after finishing Elemental.
Now, Storm is really the first book in the series, and it's been out since April.
This first full-length novel tells the story of Chris, the youngest brother, who controls the air.
Fortunately, both Brigid and her publishers realize what so many publishers don't seem to get: readers lose interest in a series if they have to wait too long in between books.
So, out TODAY is another e-book novella: Fearless.
Now, I haven't read this one yet, but I do know it tells the tale of an important side character, Hunter, who has some unusual abilities of his own.

And, by the end of the month, you can buy Spark, which is Gabriel's story; he's one of the twin middle brothers, and his element is obviously fire.
Of course, since Brigid is all that super awesome, she sent me a copy of Spark a week ago (neener, neener, I have it and you don't!), and I can assure you it's the best of the bundle that I've read.
She is SO nailing in-depth characterization!!  Look, these brothers have ISSUES.  They have had a rough past, and the nasty folks are out to get them, and they are not exactly nice little Harry Potters about it.  They have bad tempers and huge communication problems.  They're stubborn.  You probably won't like any of them.  I don't.
But here's the catch:  how cool is it when an author can make nasty characters that you just HAVE to keep reading about???  Because the plot is just THAT good?  And because you've just GOT to stick with it and figure these people out???
Bronte's Heathcliff is like that.  And Catherine, too.
And Shelley's Viktor Frankenstein is hugely unlikeable, but you just have to stick with him.
Stevenson's Dr. Jeckyll is loathable -- even when he's not Mr. Hyde.  But he captures the imagination.
This is what Brigid Kemmerer does with these brothers; she makes them fascinatingly awful -- so you just are compelled to find out what happens to them.
Plus, her pacing is awesome!  There are just no dull moments anywhere.
So, are you ready to try one?  I know you are.  Click one of my links above and buy a book.  You'll be back to thank me for telling you about them.  :)

2 comments:

  1. Good story. 1st book was really short though. I wanted to know the rest of the story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can not wait to read Storm!!

    ReplyDelete