Saturday, February 9, 2013

"Fake" Thai Stir Fry

As my Christmas lasagna recipe continues to bring 30-40 people to this blog every week, I thought I'd post another recipe for you.
I don't have a photo of this one right now; I'll try to add one later.
This is another of my inventions using Penzey's spices, and, again, I'm not the sort of cook who measures much -- unless I'm baking.

Several hours before you plan to eat, take 1/2 a pound to a pound of lean beef cut in thin strips or bite-size chunks and place in a container suitable for marinating.  Season with soy sauce, lemon juice, lime juice, cider vinegar, sugar, Bangkok Blend, and ginger.  Cover and place in the refrigerator for several hours.

When you're ready to prepare dinner, put the meat and marinade into your favorite stir-fry pan along with several dollops of peanut butter.  (I prefer to use a brand that is just peanuts and salt, as I hate all that shortening and gunk in most peanut butters.)  There is no need to add further oil, as the peanut butter has plenty of oil in it.  Cook and stir.
After a few minutes, when the meat is mostly cooked, add your favorite chopped vegetables or a frozen blend.  (I suggest broccoli, grated yams, green beans, carrots, red or yellow peppers, baby corn, peas or  snow peas, mushrooms, water chestnuts, or onions.)  Add more of the marinade ingredients to make plenty of seasoned liquid.  Add fresh or dried basil about a minute before the end of cooking time.
When it's done, it should appear that the meat and veggies are in a light but creamy brown sauce.
Serve over hot, cooked rice or quinoa.

1 comment: