Monday, April 9, 2012

Rockabilly

So, while doing some really fun research for The (Dis)Appearance of Nerissa MacKay, I've had to get into rockabilly.  I had no idea how much fun some of this stuff was.  I hadn't heard Jimmie Rodgers' stuff since I was a kid.  (My favorites are "Honeycomb," "Kisses Sweeter Than Wine," and "Falling In Love Again.")  And the only Bill Haley song I knew was "Rock Around the Clock."
But tonight I have tons of new tunes to listen to, and I've discovered The Maddox Brothers and Rose!  Yeehaw!
I love this stuff!
Here, try some out:
Maddox Brothers and Rose "Honky Tonkin'"
Jimmie Rodgers "Honeycomb"

Good stuff.  I'm having fun with this research!  :)

3 comments:

  1. Rockabilly's good fun to move to. I wouldn't call what I do dancing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those were fun. I especially liked Honky Tonkin'. That lady singer has got some real character, ain't she?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My MC in "Battle Axe" fronts a swing/rockabilly band in Wilmington, NC called "Black Slacks." If you want some real raw rockabilly, check out Robert Gordon's stuff from the early 80s. He's the real deal, even if he is a revivalist!

    ReplyDelete