Thursday, June 28, 2012

Guest Post: R. Mac Wheeler

R. Mac Wheeler is a blog-buddy of mine.  I thoroughly enjoy his Sunday photo posts, and I stand in awe of the vast amount of books he has managed to write.  Like me, he does self-publishing.
But enough from me -- let's have him tell you about himself:


One Writer's Journey
Who am I?
R. Mac Wheeler…an author of character-driven SF/F/paranormals and suspense filled with quirky sorts who lug a lot of baggage, in worlds that aren’t that far out.
My trek to publishing is typical. I've spent twenty years writing when I could. I set aside each novel and wrote another…returned to the earlier novels and edited. Queried. Edited. Wrote. Edited. Repeat. 
I wanted to be traditionally published, of course. I studied and practiced my craft. I tried new genres. Grew. Still didn't capture the attention of an agent. I had the opportunity to write full time seven years ago, and jumped in with vim and vigor, and a lot of naiveté.
Nineteen novels backed up on the shelf. Last summer I decided there was no point letting them collect dust. I would self publish. No new writing since. Just edit…edit…edit…  
*he screams maniacally* 
I'll soon have my sixteenth novel on Amazon and B&N. Two fantasy novels after that I may or may not publish. I have two novels outlined already. I'm very eager to write.
I've learned a lot. Indie publishing is like every other endeavor. Pages of minutia, each element if done well, improves the quality of the product. But having an asset is only one-third of the effort. 
Building a Platform
I'm not going to kill myself creating a brand. There are companies that spend many thousands of hours doing this. I'm not naïve enough to believe I have the stamina, nor the capital to launch an identity. 
I've embraced Facebook. I blog, mix my journey to publication with my joy of photography to entice folks to visit me…hopefully peek at the novels I brag about there. I've created a home page (not all that flashy…most you can say is, it's functional…but I like simple…I'm not a flashy person…I don't write flash either…my characters are malcontents…a little like me).
Marketing Myself
Selling at this point isn't my priority (Don't tell my wife…she wants to retire). I trust the industry. Maybe that's foolish…but I figure if I haven't enticed an agent to represent me yet…I haven't learned enough to merit a contract.
But, I snort. Ninety percent of those who get a contract, still can't support themselves with their writing. 
I love to write. I'm never going to stop. I unabashedly anticipate living another two-hundred years. Writing isn't something I will EVER retire from. Think of the novels I can create in the next two centuries. It's mind boggling. 
If one of my titles catches fire…fine. I might make a bunch of money. I don't think that will change my life. All I will want to do is stay home and write, with my pups laying all around me.
If I blaze no publishing glory, I can continue to earn thirty bucks a quarter from each of my titles, by the time I die I will have created a library that may help my grandkids' kids afford their first homes…or meet the mortgage…maybe. 
When I have my current novels out there…and have let a little of my backed up energy escape with some new writing…I'll…eh…maybe consider some marketing.
In the Meantime
I write. Love my wife. Pet my pups. And post photographs every week capturing my marvelous hikes…my Sunday Safaris. Come for a visit. Drop me a, "Nice pix" comment. You'll warm my heart. I promise to send you a, "Well thanks for dropping by."
-R. Mac Wheeler
Home Page
FacebookContact meOn KindleOn Nook

4 comments:

  1. Lisa

    Thanks so much for allowing me to chat with your great followers.

    You are gr8!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I don't ever want to retire either. I don't think as writers we can. And 200 years, hm? Ambitious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Writers never retire, they just fall off the page.

    Keep going.

    ReplyDelete