Friday, June 8, 2012

I Have Survived The Right Parotidectomy

I spent yesterday in the hospital having my right parotid gland removed, as I had a small tumor (about the size and feel of a frozen grape) on my jaw.  It doesn't sound like a big deal, but the parotid gland grows right over a MAJOR facial nerve, so the surgery was delicate and took roughly 3 hours so the doctor could avoid giving me facial paralysis.  Add all the pre-op stuff and the recovery period, and it took ALL day.
Plus, I was very nauseous from whatever they used to put me out and dealing with migraines from the tight bandages wrapped around my head.  (I look like a mummy).
I also have some really spiffy blood drainage going on from a tube into a plastic handgrenade-type thing.  I took photos, and I'll put them up in a later post.
I'll be dealing with a fair amount of pain and swelling for the next couple of days, so not much writing/editing/blogging will be getting done.  I hope to be feeling more chipper by the beginning of next week.
Fortunately, I'm still getting e-mails from Paige Shelton that she's enjoying Half-Vampire.

4 comments:

  1. So glad all went well, hope you're feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to have it over and done with. Rest and get well soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto Max. I am sure if I had face surgery, I would not think it was no big deal. I guess if you are confident in your surgeon, that would make a difference.

    Well, happy recovery. Hope you have some good things to listen to so you're not too bored.

    ReplyDelete
  4. R. Mac Wheeler commented on Goodreads:

    arghhh!

    I bean cut on a few times. My shivers are with ya.

    ReplyDelete